The President is ultimately responsible for the conduct of all Local business.The responsibilities of the President are to:
- Assume direct responsibility for internal organizing.
- Engage in and supervise collective bargaining as needed.
- Make worksite visits.
- Provide communication link between members and the International.
- Perform all duties as required by the CWA Constitution and Local Bylaws.
- Execute all Local programs as established by the membership.
- Lead the Local.
- Conduct all Local business.
- Plan and Chair membership meetings and Executive Board meetings.
- Set specific goals for the year with input from other officers.
- Prepare a budget in consultation with other officers, which supports and reflects specific goals for the year.
- Foster an organizing cultureand identify external organizing leads.
- Supervise work of all officers and committees.
- Have working knowledge of contract(s) --check with district staff for interpretations.
- Supervise all grievances.
- Develop new leadership within Local.
- Involve other officers in Local decision-making.
- Operate as a member of a team --as well as lead that team.
- Share information with other officers.
- Get members involved in the union.
- Represent the Local to employer, community leaders and media.